My training, racing, things that go through my head, memorable moments, and such.

Friday, July 18, 2008

Give Unto Others


I have run across two philosophies in life and lately I have been thinking about them in relation to my own choices. One philosophy is that by living for others, by always giving and making others happy, you are in turn happy. Another philosophy states that by being "selfish" and working hard at something you love, you in turn make others happy through your achievements. I sometimes look at the philosophies in regards to Triathlon because although it's great that I love my sport, the world isn't really becoming a better place because I killed myself in workout today. Or is it? According to philosophy #2 by doing what I love, I benefit society. 

Ayn Rand and her philosophy of Objectivism describes philosophy #2. She believed that the purpose of a person's life should be the pursuit of one's own happiness, and that "productive achievement [be] his noblest activity." This philosophy is grounded in the theory that reality exists independent of consciousness, and that reason is the only absolute. 

Philosophy #1 is represented in a way by Yoga, as I learned about in Autobiography of a Yogi by Paramahansa Yogananda. Karma yoga says "selflessness is a primary requirement for karma practice.  It can be defined as the capacity to preform selfless actions without expectation of any outcome. 
Yet paradoxically it seems as though the end result of Yoga is to find one's true self and to be released from the karma circle. This is done by meditation and self study. Both of these seem to me like semi-"selfish" endeavors- although Paramahansa Yogananda says, " Even saints who engage in no outward work bestow, through their thoughts and holy vibrations, more precious benefits on the world than can be given by the most strenuous humanitarian activities of unenlightened men."
Also, both philosophy #1 and #2 seem to believe that the secret of work consists of working for works sake, and not for money, glory or any other benefits. 
So now we have come full circle and my question still isn't answered. 
I've decided to come up with my own philosophy. It is called Alexisism. It's hard to follow, because it is very uncertain and indecisiveness is an unfortunate component. Basically it goes like this: Do what makes you happy when necessary. Do what you love, work hard at things you feel are important and benefit society, and sometimes put yourself before others in order to not  be constantly walked all over. On the other side, sometimes you have to sacrifice what you want in order to make others happy if you know that what you do is right, and that it is of no true horrible negative consequence to yourself. Basically- suck it up and do nice things for people, because I believe that self-sacrifice is often rewarded. Furthermore, it is easy to say "I'll do what I want and I don't care what those people think of me," but a lot of the time you would be happier and better off if you had those people's love and support. Friends make you happy- even if they aren't your best friends. Having a fall back circle- a support circle, is always beneficial. 
There you go, my essay on philosophy.

Other note! Training went well for me today. We did 100's best average on 1:40 and I held under 1:15's long course, which is much better than what I was holding 2 weeks ago. I still haven't caught up to Gaby who was holding about the same as me, yet on 1:30's. Biking was hard and we had another epic crash as a truck pulled out in front of us and Brook soared over his handle bars. (Tuesday saw Aaron go down on the evil Observatory). I think I'm doing well- and am getting faster. I also have a positive attitude towards training right now which is awesome. My good mood may or may not be due to a mint chip mocha frapp grace a Starbucks!
Anywho- I have a life to get figured. Adios

No comments: