My training, racing, things that go through my head, memorable moments, and such.

Monday, January 19, 2009

Australia






Whew! Alrighty, I know I haven't blogged in a long time! I knew the time would come when school + training + life would take over, and my blog would suffer. I really shouldn't even be blogging right now! It is 11:30 pm, and I have to get up at 6:30 tomorrow for training. The problem is that it is only 6:30 in the evening back in Australia, so I'm not really tired. 
I was looking over some pictures of this year, and I have gotten to go to some awesome places this year with sport. I'm disappointed that I never did a blog entry on Cross Country Nationals in Quebec because it's the missing piece of my travels. 
Maybe I'll randomly add some Quebec pics for the fun of it later. 
As  for now, here is Australia in Brief! It was an amazing amazing experience. The racing was fast and of a very high quality, the environment/country was so neat, and meeting more triathletes from around the world was also really cool. I am really happy with my race as we are not in racing season and I was pretty stressed out before hand. I had a solid swim, and even though I didn't make the first pack on the bike I think I did the best I could in getting into the second pack where most of the fast swimmers ended up. The bike was interesting... Kyla and I were torn to shreds by the Aussies as we were slow in picking up their drafting technique. I think I heard "COATES, MOVE LEFT!" yelled out at me at least 10 times in the pack. I was frustrated by the biking because if we had formed a double pace line ( which is what I was doing until everyone started yelling at me...) then we would have had two girls pulling instead of one, and our pack would have gone a lot faster. I eventually gave in and the rest of the bike was pretty easy as our pack was big enough that no one would get dropped. ( I even ate half a gel!) The run was goodish. It didn't feel fast, but it ended up being fast enough. Kyla was slow in transition, but after about 2 km she caught up to me, and we ended up running to the finish together. We came in 8th and 9th- which is decent I think. 
The relays were fun, but definitely need a little work. It was a lot harder than I was expecting as I did the 10km bike by myself so the 3k run hurt! Despite lots of biking this winter,  I still suck at tt-ing on the bike. Our boys got a bronze medal, which was really exciting. They worked extremely hard for it. 

All in all I am so grateful to have had this experience and hope for more in the future.

No comments: