My training, racing, things that go through my head, memorable moments, and such.

Saturday, April 16, 2011

Quoted

I don't want this post to be all preachy or inspirational or anything. Basically it is just a couple of things I have been thinking about this last week post school, post first race of the year, and post Paula winning in Sydney. I was thinking about different coaches, different quotes, and different approaches, and this is the results of my pondering.


"Be the best you can be, and then find ways to be better." I can't remember who was the first person who said that quote, likely one of my early swim coaches, but whoever said it, said it a lot. I was thinking about ways to be better the other day, and I realized, ways to be better doesn't mean find more ways to be better, often it means do less. For example, over the winter I had a serious, "omygoodness I have taken on too much" moment. I was in school (technically, but I was missing it for camps), had 2 jobs (technically), was trying to train full time, and was trying to study for my personal training exam. All of this equalled one helluva stressed out unsuperalex. Anyways, when you get to that point, you aren't living any more, and you sure aren't being the best you can be at any one thing.
Therefore, the answer for me is: ways to be better = resist temptation to do too much.

"Be Tenacious" 




Our grade 6 (?) soccer coach would say this one everyday. Im pretty sure on our first practice of the year he made us go look up "tenacious" in the dictionary. Well one person who is amazingly tenacious, is our famous redhead Paula. Look at her in this pack of runners at the London World Cup Series race last year. Now look at these definitions of "tenacious" from Dictionary.com:

–adjective
1.
holding fast; characterized by keeping a firm hold (oftenfollowed by of ): a tenacious grip on my arm; tenacious ofold habits.
2.
highly retentive: a tenacious memory.
3.
pertinacious, persistent, stubbornor obstinate.
4.
adhesive or sticky; viscous or glutinous.
5.
holding together; cohesive; not easily pulled asunder; tough.


Paula epitomizes "tenacious". And since everyone should do as Paula does, our first step should be to never allow ourselves to be pulled asunder. BE STICKY fellow triathletes!

And finally, summer of 2004 (grade 9), Kyla and I participated in the ITU solidarity camp in Edmonton. Having busted off my ACL a couple of weeks before the camp, I wasn't running yet, but I was swimming, biking, going to presentations and trying to cure myself of my shyness. There was a number of young athletes who came, although Kyla and I were probably some of the youngest considering we were still Kids Of Steel athletes. That was the first time I "met" Gaby Bolanos and Leonardo Chacon. Apparently Barbara Riveros was there as well, but unfortunately I don't remember her. Anyways, the point is, we had one talk by Jackie Gallagher, whose main quote was, "You don't win by taking short cuts". I remember taking that quote fairly literally, and  imagining cutting little corners on runs, and how I needed to stop doing that. But it is true. Short cuts don't cut it. The only thing wrong with this quote is that there is another one that goes, "More isn't always better", and after taking a couple physiology classes and learning about myself, I can attest to that. SO maybe the quote should be, "Don't be a slacker". There you go. That way if you ask yourself, am I being a slacker at this instant, and the answer is yes, well hell you ain't going anywhere. If the answer is "no, I am being smart", then maybe you are doing the right thing.

Anyways, don't quote me. Yet.

Later




No comments: