My training, racing, things that go through my head, memorable moments, and such.

Tuesday, September 4, 2012

Kelowna and Climbing

It has been a busy/hard couple of weeks, so I'm a bit delayed in my Kelowna post. Seriously though, I'm sorry I left you guys hanging by a thread waiting for my race report! I'll keep it short and sweet.

team at race briefing
Swim:

Not the best pic- but you can make out my Awesome Aqua sphere goggles!
The swim was one of my best of the year. The first lap was a little rough. Near the first turn I had a hand grab my shoulder and push me under the water. I had to stop and splutter for a second. Here's the kicker- guess who it was!!??? The sweetest most nicest person on the planet: ELLEN PENNOCK! I thought that was funny. It's ok Ellen, I forgive you :)
I spent the next lap playing catch up but managed to exit the water IN front pack! No chasing on the bike required! Check!

Bike:
The ride was a little frustrating, but I shouldn't have let it get to me. I'm just going to do a brief little rant. Ok, so if you just pulled off, I understand why you are chillen at the side waiting for the next person to theoretically pull through faster, thus keeping the pace of the pack up. HOWEVER, if the next person "pulling through" sucks at biking, and is perpetually stuck next to you without a hope of pulling ahead or pulling off, for gods sake DROP BACK!!! I don't know how many times this happened, where our pack got stuck in slow motion because a girl couldn't pull off. I spent a lot of time riding around those girls and trying to get the pace back up again. Pull through hard. Pull off quick. Drop back if you have to. Rant over.

Run: 

The run really wasn't what I was hoping for. Although the top three girls ran really quick, I think I could have managed at least a top five on a solid day. I think the heat and the hills on the bike got to me, and I just entered into survival mode. Oh well. I'm trying to be fine with it because you have to work with what you've got on the day. 

The week after Kelowna was an easy/on-your-own training week to give us a little mental break before Worlds. It was super awesome, and I'll let my little video give you a taste of what we got up to. Although this video isn't as good as my favourite Maui video, mostly because Kyla and I worked pretty hard on that one, I like it for different reasons.


Finally, here is a thank you for an awesome 5 years Patrick! 





1 comment:

Ellen Pennock said...

lol i give you permission to dunk me underwater at the next race! to even it out.