My training, racing, things that go through my head, memorable moments, and such.

Monday, April 29, 2013

Back Again

Schools Done! Boy that semester was a doozy. However, I am now four classes away from finishing my degree, and I am feeling really good about my future! Its really interesting how by the end of your degree all the pieces begin to fall into place, and I feel as though I now have a more complete "kinesiology" perspective.  Although I have taken a very long time to get this undergrad degree done, I do feel as though the extra time spent on it has really allowed me to think about what I want to do with it, and how I plan on approaching the future. A couple of years ago I had no clue what I wanted to do after undergrad, so I am happy that now I won't waste my time on something rash, like applying for physio! (No offence to everyone in physio, you will all make lovely physiotherapists, I'm just glad I figured out that that path isn't for me!)

Along with building up my academic brain this past six months, this fall, winter and spring has been a huge jump in building up my athletic brain as well. Working with Carolyn from October until April was a great experience, as she brought all of her background as an Olympic athlete and applied it to us. Although I was a little swamped with school, I felt like I was able to build a huge base, and was still able to go to each workout ready to do the work.

For some reason my semester was really front loaded, and so by the time February rolled around I was in desperate need of some sleep! Luckily I was able to get away to the Triathlon Canada camp in Clermont, where I slept like a rock the entire time and I was able to get my head into triathlon gear. We worked with so many amazing coaches in Clermont, and I really think I learned something either about training, or myself, from every session. I returned home from Clermont with increased motivation, fitness, and was refreshed enough to finish off the semester of school.

Here is the Clermont video that Kyla and I put together:

Clermont 2013 from Alexandra Coates on Vimeo.

I raced the Bazan Bay 5 km race shortly after returning from Clermont. The only speed work I had done on the run was in Clermont, so I wasn't expecting anything fast, but I surprised myself with a 15 second PB! I broke the 17 minute barrier by two seconds, which was really exciting for me. My goal for this year was to do that, but I had no idea I would be able to do it so early!

I made a mistake again a couple of weeks after Bazan Bay. I was feeling really tired for a couple of consecutive workouts, and I pushed through a big bike where I should have just called it quits. I ended up with a bit of tendonitis and bursitis in my biceps femoris tendon at the knee, and I am having trouble getting rid of it. Luckily my running is feeling good again, I just need to begin making progress on the bike.  I was really excited to race my first WTS in Yokohama next week, but unfortunately my racing season is now going to be pushed back.

I feel as though being an athlete since the beginning of time has had its advantages and disadvantages. Although I do feel confident in my ability to read my body, and understand its signs, I have also been conditioned to push through. The old swimming line was "you only miss practice if you have a fever or are puking - and puking is negotiable". This meant that I pushed through a lot of stuff as a youngster that I shouldn't have. I've always been a fairly high stress child, and so I had to push through some pretty big mental hurtles as well (such as my intense fear of swimming 400 freestyle). The lessons I gained from forcing myself through unpleasant situations were important, but it is so hard for me to find balance now that I am older. Although I have been working on breaking this approach for the last 6 years or so, I still have a lot of trouble calling it quits, especially when my amazing teammates are all rocking the workouts around me. Hopefully this most recent mistake will be a good reminder for the future.
NTC racing at the local Juan de Fuca Sprint Triathlon! 
As Carolyn went on maternity leave at the beginning of April (Welcome Baby Roland!), we have gained the input of even more coaches. Each coach brings their own approach, and I am confident that by the end of this year I will be an entirely new athlete from the year previous, simply with all of the new takes on training that we are receiving. We are doing a big "anti-injury" approach right now that I think will be a great learning experience for all of us.

Austin at Matheson lake
Spring in Victoria is truly beautiful, so here is a very short video that I took of some play time yesterday.
Sunday in Victoria from Alexandra Coates on Vimeo.


2 comments:

A-Russ said...

Austins stroke looks frickin good. Cavemen can swim.

Alex Coates said...

I know! That's what I said too but he didn't agree!