My training, racing, things that go through my head, memorable moments, and such.

Saturday, July 27, 2013

Mid-Summer Update



It has been a while since I last updated, so now is as good a time as ever I suppose. The last couple of months have been pretty hard. I have been continuing my fight against my hamstring tendon/left knee injury, and while I currently have the upper hand, it is still putting up a good fight. I am extremely grateful for the opportunity to be here in Vitoria, Spain, with the amazing Marilyn Adams who has helped me immensely with my knee. Before arriving in Spain I was definitely only in the 15 hours of training a week range at best, but Marilyn has been working her magic and I am now well above 20 and closing in on 25. Not that training hours are all that matters! I've finally been able to swim, bike, and run fairly consistently. On top of that Marilyn is addressing all of my imbalances to help me in my quest to never get injured again! The strength work is intense! I feel extremely neurologically fatigued, which is why this blog post is taking me so long to write. One paragraph a day is good I think.


As most of you know, my family was hit pretty hard by the flooding in Calgary. My family lost everything they owned, and everything they worked for. I think it is a product of society and the times we live in to always be working towards the future. We save money, put in hours, make plans, and dream big. However the reality is that life doesn't care how hard you've worked towards something. At any moment anything could happen! Injuries, accidents, and natural disasters occur every day, and then years of hard work and planning go down the drain. I think if I've gotten anything out of this tragedy it is to really live in the moment. It is cliche, but true. It is important to love what you do, and to love the process. Every minute is precious, and only experiences stay with you forever (hopefully).



I was in Calgary for a few days to help my family throw everything we owned in the dumpster. It was a really tough time. I am grateful to everyone who came over and gave a hand, or who offered to come over and help out. In times of need it becomes easily apparent which people have the most amazing souls. A very interesting and insightful phenomenon.


Three weeks ago now I left for training in Spain, and it has been an incredible experience.We have been able to train with some of the best triathletes in the world, in what appears to be one of the most
popular ITU training locations in the world. Seems like every day more famous faces pop up at the
pool or on the trails. What a neat experience for a bunch of Canucks who are used to mostly training
with other North Americans. Once again I am continuing to learn so much this year. Working with Kyla Rollinson has been great, Libby is the best high performance director ever, and training with Jaime's group is truly world class.


Although this year hasn't shaped up to be anything like I had planned, sometimes a learning year is necessary. I'd much rather have a learning year now than in three years time. I am using this year to build up my swim, and to address the myriad of weaknesses that can become my strengths. I am also beginning my quest to never get injured again, as mentioned above.



Thanks to Tri-It and Aqua Sphere and my parents and coaches for continuing to support me. To Aqua Sphere, I have been wearing my phantom suit over here, although the water is too hot and I constantly think I am going to die of heat stroke. The wetsuit does its job fantastically however. Thanks again and Adios!

No comments: